Thursday, May 20, 2010

Great Depression Pictures

Upon looking at Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother photographs, many emotions and thoughts swarmed me all at once. First off, seeing the makeshift home they made out of sticks and cloth made me realize just how severe the Great Depression was. Sure, I had heard about it before and heard that it was a terrible time in American history, but, until looking at these pictures, I did not know just how terrible this time period was. The first picture, showing the mother staring off into the distance at an uncertain future, surfaced feelings of sorrow and pity in me. I know that I will never be able to relate to the fear of the future she feels for both herself and her children. The fact that she does not know whether everything will turn out okay for her family or not must be a difficult piece of knowledge to live with.

The last picture, showing the mother and her three children inside their bungalow, made me realize how lucky we are today. Not knowing her story, I cannot tell what the mother's life was like before the Great Depression, but if it's anything like what I've heard, losing everything must have come as a terrible surprise. I cannot imagine what it would be like to live in a home and have everything going okay and then suddenly getting my home and everything I cared about taken away from me. Today, we are very blessed in knowing that we now have government programs to prevent that from ever happening again. May we never have to experience the terrible uncertainty this woman certainly felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment